- Carter Mountain Orchard produces many popular varieties including Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Rome, Stayman, Gala, Winesap, York, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Fuji and Ginger Gold.
- Apple harvest begins mid-August and extends through mid-November. Summer varieties are harvested July through August.
- An average of 8-10 million bushels of apples are produced annually by Virginia growers. American apple growers produce over 255 million bushels annually, which equals just over one bushel of apples per person in the United States.
- Local apple varieties require 90 to 175 growing days from spring bloom to fall harvest.
- Depending on the type of root stock, 100 to 500 apple trees are planted to the acre.
- Seventy percent of apples are sold for processing and made into popular products such as applesauce, apple juice, apple butter, slices and cider.
- Virginia apples are destined for markets in 15 states and more than 20 countries.
Five Reasons To Eat An Apple Every Day
Your Diet - Apples are the perfect, portable snack: great tasting, energy-boosting, and free of fat.
Your Heart - Research confirms it! The antioxidant phytonutrients found in apples help fight the damaging effects of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Your Digestion - Just one apple provides as much dietary fiber as a serving of bran cereal. (That's about one-fifth of the recommended daily intake of fiber.)
Your Lungs - An apple a day strengthens lung function and can lower the incidence of lung cancer, as well.
Your Bones - Apples contain the essential trace element, boron, which has been shown to strengthen bones - a good defense against osteoporosis.