Planning Your Visit to the Orchard
We’re glad you are visiting! Here are some tips to help you make the most of your time with us!
1. Carter Mountain Orchard is a non-smoking facility. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on our property. This includes all outdoor areas!
2. Dress properly! This is a working farm, on a mountain. The ground can be uneven. Depending on the weather, it may be dusty, muddy, slick, etc. Proper footware is important. We do our best to keep poison ivy at bay; if you are allergic, long pants are recommended. Sunscreen is always recommended, as are close-toed shoes.
3. This is private property; all grounds, buildings, and roads are open only during our posted hours. Please do not drive up the mountain outside these hours.
4. No hiking, running, biking, etc on our road - this is for your safety! There is much traffic on our road, including farm vehicles, during business hours, and the property, including grounds and road, are closed all other times.
5. Trash cans are provided; please put litter in its proper place.
6. No grilling or open flames are permitted at any time.
7. Pets must be socialized, well-behaved, and leashed. They are not permitted in our store or on the hayride. Owners must also be socialized and well-behaved – please clean up after your pet, even in the orchard. Keep in mind that some days are extremely busy, with many people here. Your pet may not be comfortable in the large crowd.
8. During our peak season (September and October), please keep in mind that the orchard will often be very busy! If it’s a beautiful day, lots of people will have the same idea – to come pick apples! There is often a lot going on in Charlottesville on autumn weekends, including UVa football games, events at Monticello and local wineries, leaf peeping, etc. Charlottesville highways and roads can be quite congested at times, as can our orchard. Be patient! We work hard to accommodate as many folks as possible; it is possible that we reach capacity at some points during the day (remember, we have no control over how many people show up at a given time). We’ll do our best to get you up (or down) the mountain, parked, and started on your fun outing as quickly as possible. To avoid the peak crowds, we recommend visiting during the week (we’re open every day!), or early on weekend mornings (we tend to get pretty busy by 11 or so). Otherwise, be patient, and enjoy your time with your family and friends!
9. We regret that we are unable to accommodate buses and oversized vehicles on Saturdays and Sundays in October - we'd love to have your group but have no parking and turnaround space for these vehicles. Thank you for understanding.
10. You are responsible for paying for everything you pick – please watch your children!
HOW TO PICK YOUR OWN
Check in with Carter Mountain staff BEFORE beginning to pick. Not all areas of the orchard are open to the public. We'll give you picking instructions, let you know what and where to pick, and let you know everything you’ll need to know for the day!
- You are welcome to bring your own containers for picking. We do provide plastic bags if you do not have containers.
- Please respect our private property, and only pick in areas that are open. Not all fruit is ripe at the same time! If you pick it, you must pay for it!
- All fruit and merchandise must be paid for PRIOR to putting it in your car. Please keep your receipt handy in case we need to see it! We will prosecute any and all thefts.
- For safety, climbing of trees is not permitted.
- Help us keep our orchard clean and safe. Do not throw fruit, or put any on the ground. If you pick it, it must go in your bag and you must pay for it.
- Please report to Carter Mountain staff any activity that goes against our policies - help us keep the orchard clean and safe and enjoyable for all!